In a previous blog, we mentioned the fact that it’s a good idea to make a list of all of your belongings to give to your insurance provider in the event that something happens to your home. Today we’d like to go a little more in-depth so that you can be well prepared in the event that nature strikes and your home is damaged.
- Before starting, know that it’s never a bad idea to check with your insurance provider for their advice on how to keep track of everything. Each provider is a little different, so if you have any questions, it never hurts to reach out.
- Our advice is to keep track of your list in a couple of different places. Whether that means writing out a list and keeping multiple copies or just keeping a spreadsheet of your belongings on a USB drive or online, having your list in a few different places will make it easy to get to should you ever need to.
- It’s nearly impossible to hang on to your receipts. If you’re the type of person who throws receipts away, get into the habit of taking a photo with your smartphone. You could even transfer the photos into the same folder as your spreadsheet to make things easy. Be sure to organize photos of receipts by the name of the store you purchased from and the date you bought it.
- Don’t be afraid to start small at first. Just list the items that are higher in price and work your way down over time. Be sure to make any notes that may come in handy later if there’s anything specific that you may need to remember.
- Add new items as soon as you make a purchase. Make it easy on yourself by adding items to your list the same day you buy them. If it’s too hard to remember this, consider adding jotting down a note or adding a reminder on your smartphone to add to your home inventory list when you get home.
We at Better Flood Insurance want to give you the best coverage for the best cost. Call today for a free quote!