Just getting into my first rental. However the flood insurance we are having to pay is a pretty hefty payment each month. I have been looking into petitioning for removal of the requirement just solely to be able to increase monthly cash flow. If anyone has any tips on how to go go through this process or the best way to increase your odds of being able to get out of it your input would be greatly appreciated.

*On a side note about this property. Every other house around it is not in the flood zone and the only piece of the lot that is in the flood zone is a small area in the corner of the front yard. The house is also 13 feet off the ground and is no real danger of flooding (based on the 10 year flood plain) .*

Yes Please shop my Flood Insurance

Hi @Shawn Ziegaus, Have you tried shopping your flood insurance on the private flood insurance market?

I suggest you google (private flood insurance) or (Lloyds of London flood insurance) skip over the ads and look for an agent that will shop all options (including the NFIP or government option).

We do a free audit of someone’s current policy (and oftentimes find errors) as most agents don’t specifically deal with flood insurance and are not experts at how to get the best premium for their clients.

Moving the policy to the private flood insurance market you might be able to save money.

How to get a LOMA.

Getting a LOMA (Letter of Map amendment) takes a very long time and there is a trend that the government is not removing properties as readily as they did a few years ago.

We have also seen that properties are removed and then put back the very next year.

VERY frustrating.

Anyway there are a few things I can offer to you for how to see if your home will qualify for the LOMA.

Flood Insurance RATE maps

1) First look up your property in this link


2) Put in your property address

then on the Right hand side there is a menu tool click on it to twarrol it down and look for the LOMA  click it on.

What this will do is turn on all the properties that have applied the address.

3) Click on the download and you will see the pop up of what the result is.

See Open LOMAS

Look for the area that says OUTCOME and look to see if it says “Removed” or “NOT removed”

How to REMOVE from Flood OneWhy do a LOMA

NOTE: you will have to be patient the site is a bit slow but if you wait for it to develop you will be able to discover a lot about your area, so be patient. 

You will need an Elevation Certificate

There are some “tools” you will need to get the government to look at your property. You will need to get what is called an Elevation Certificate(EC) (needs to be done by a government approved surveyor).

These can cost about $500 – $800 and most of the time I have to help the surveyor. I can help point you to get one if you want. You can also google (your area and Elevation Certificate).

My thinking is that if properties have had success getting a LOMA around your property then there is a good chance you might be able to get one as well.

If you don’t see any then well you might not be able to get one. So the private flood insurance market might be a better solution.

If your property is in an just an A flood zone (like in the photo) there is a different way to go about getting the EC if so put that in this thread and I will try to explain what you can do in this instance.

Good luck.

Your Flood Nerd